Massage therapy is an incredible practice for those seeking deep relaxation, stress relief, physical rehabilitation, pain management, or simply looking to indulge in a little extra self-care. If you are someone who is passionate about helping others and improving their quality of life, becoming a Registered Massage Therapist (RMT) might be an enriching career path for you!
Becoming a registered massage therapy practitioner does take some time and money, but it is truly a priceless investment if you are interested in working toward a rewarding career in health and wellness. At Urban Massage & Wellness in St. Albert, we are proud to have a team of RMTs on staff who are passionate and dedicated to their craft. Our talented team provides our clients with unmatched care and attention to their needs.
Here are some steps you can take to become an RMT in Alberta:
Research RMT Schools in Alberta
There are multiple RMT diploma programs available across Alberta, depending on your desired location, prerequisites, budget, and whether you are looking to partake in part-time or full-time studies. Every massage therapy program offered in Alberta delivers high-quality instruction that adheres to the provincial associations’ high professional standards.
Here are a few programs to look up and find out which school of massage therapy is the right fit for you:
- Blended learning program available for in-class and independent study in both Calgary and Edmonton. In-class, Mon.-Fri. daily learning option offered in Calgary.
- Admissions are based on life-experience, education, and suitability for the program. Adult learners have an advantage with admissions over students straight out of high school.
- Two-year, full-time RMT program located in Edmonton, AB.
- MacEwan’s RMT program is regarded as one of the more competitive programs to get accepted.
- Two-year, full-time RMT program that can be taken anywhere in Alberta, with satellite campuses in Edmonton, Calgary, Grande Prairie, Fort McMurray, Lloydminster, and Red Deer.
- ACMT is a great option for those who require some flexibility, as the majority of their coursework is done online.
- This full-time RMT program is located in Calgary, AB and is designed to be completed in two years,
- While the program is not available online, students do have up to six calendar years to complete the required courses should they need more flexibility.
- Two-year, full-time RMT program in Edmonton or Calgary, AB.
- MaKami College offers an Advanced Clinical Massage Therapy certification that allows you to work as a certified massage therapist after 2,200 hours of training before obtaining your Advanced RMT certification at 3,000 hours.
Review Requirements and Eligibility
In terms of what it takes to become a practicing RMT in Alberta, the academic and eligibility requirements are fairly similar from program to program, though some can be more competitive than others. Because of this, we highly recommend doing your research on each desired program’s requirements to find out which one you’d like to apply for. You’ll also learn if you need to upgrade any prerequisite courses beforehand.
RMT programs are generally competitive due to the comprehensive, hands-on training you will receive, as well as the highly technical course content you will be learning. After all, the human body is an intricate and intimate vessel, so it’s important to have a strong understanding of the complexity of the human body.
Prepare for the Coursework and Programs
RMT programs in Alberta offer a healthy blend of scientific theory and clinical practice to prepare you for a career in massage therapy. Many of these courses are quite complex and content-heavy, like anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and pathology, because knowing the body inside and out is paramount to your success as an RMT.
Becoming an RMT requires you to learn every aspect of the human body and its systems. These challenging courses are complemented by hands-on clinical training to learn how to treat patients with the highest standards of practice.
Complete Your Practicums and Training Hours
To become a Certified Registered Massage Therapist in Alberta, you must complete at least 2,200 hours of training before you can register with the College of Massage Therapists of Alberta.
The coursework and practicums you complete during your two-year massage therapy program count towards your training hours, which are necessary so you can learn to safely and effectively practice massage therapy on patients with all kinds of medical or therapeutic needs.
Achieve Your Certification Requirements
Once you have completed your coursework and practicums, finished your final exams, and have achieved your Registered Massage Therapist certification, the health and wellness world will be your oyster!
You will be able to start building your practice and even look into continuing education opportunities and learning how to perform specialized services such as myofascial cupping and acupuncture. Continuing education is actually a requirement for all licensed massage therapists as part of the provincial association’s regulated health practitioner guidelines and quality assurance program to ensure RMTs are offering the highest standard of care for patients.
Deliver Relief and Relaxation to Your Clients
Whether you start your own practice or join an established one, you’ll be ready to deliver value and relief to your clients. Most people long for a career that is satisfying and challenging to the mind and body. Massage Therapy embodies both of those aspects and will serve you well as a skillset for years to come.
Skilled Registered Massage Therapists in St. Albert
At Urban Massage & Wellness, our talented and passionate RMTs are always happy to chat about their own massage therapy journey. If you are on the fence about whether or not a massage therapy career is a right fit for you, we encourage you to try out our wide variety of services for yourself. After experiencing different massage therapies and the benefits they deliver, you may just be inspired to become an RMT yourself.
There are a number of steps to take in order to become a registered massage therapist, but our skilled RMTs will tell you they’ve never looked back. Nothing is more rewarding than helping our clients find relief from stress, pain, trauma, and other health-related issues.
Book your next treatment at Urban Massage & Wellness in St. Albert today, and don’t be afraid to ask our team for advice if you’re considering diving into a rewarding career in health and wellness.